Diploma in Advanced Skincare …
advanced skills for a changing industry,
multi-platform lasers & IPL systems.
The Diploma in Advanced Skincare builds on the basic beauty therapy skill set. Completing the Diploma can lead on to the CIDESO qualification. Underpinned by dermatology, microbiology, physiology of ageing, the chemistry of hair and beauty products, it is an in-depth course structure. Therapists looking to be a facialist specialist, leading to acne therapies and advanced preventative premature ageing treatments would suit this course.
The ITEC accredited course contains six mandatory units:
- 850 Laser and Light Treatments for Skin Rejuvenation
- 851 Apply Microdermabrasion
- 854 Dermatology and Microbiology
- 859 Chemistry of Hair and Beauty Products
- 860 Management of Health, Safety and Security in the Salon
- 861 Physiology of Ageing
We take the Laser and Light Treatments for Skin Rejuvenation unit and expand upon providing in-depth learning for the conditions including, acne, rosacea, pigmentation, spider veins, vascular clustering, and premature ageing. Learners through pre-screened models have a hands-on practical course structure while gaining access to multiple laser platforms and IPL machines.
How is the qualification assessed?
We follow the assessment guidelines of ITEC this means your tutor grades your performance during the course while guiding you to pass the final examination by an external ITEC examiner. During the course, you will partake in case studies building a treatment portfolio. Assignments are given which require home, and in college study once all the requirements are met the external examiner will view parts of your treatment portfolio and assignments.
How will the qualification be graded?
- Learners must achieve a passing grade in all technical and underpinning knowledge units to accomplish the ITEC Diploma in Advanced Skincare Level 4 leading to CIDESCO Qualification.
- It is the aggregate mark for the practical examinations and the multiple choice theory question papers that form the overall grade of the qualification – Pass, Merit or Distinction.
- Assignments and treatment portfolio evidence are graded pass or refer
- If a Learner is unsuccessful in any unit, they will be re-assessed only in the unit(s) where they were referred
- Referrals must be completed within one year of the original assessment. The remainder of the Candidate’s results will stay in the ITEC system until all aspects of each unit have been allocated a passing grade
Practical evaluation and grading
On completion of all mandatory units, learners complete a final internal practical assessment following the structure of the final exam. This internal examination allows for any final needed changes, learning, to facilitate a successful external ITEC examination. The final examination is held in the college overseen by the course invigilator who is not your tutor. The closed test structure allows for the highest standards in assessment and training to be upheld.
Practical examination is 1 1/4 hours and is the same format as the final ITEC examination. Learners are expected to perform the following treatments sequentially.
Unit 850 – Laser and Light Treatments for Skin Rejuvenation, approximately 30 minutes
- Prepare the client
- Demonstrate appropriate safety precautions
- Demonstrate the treatment
- Aftercare/home care advice
Unit 851 – Apply Microdermabrasion, approximately 45 minutes
- Prepare the client
- Demonstrate proper safety precautions
- Demonstrate the microdermabrasion treatment suitable for client’s skin type
- Aftercare/home care advice
Practical assignments are a core focus with the Diploma, browse through the tabs to gain an insight into what is expected in each of the units assignment criteria.
Assignments may be presented in any of the following formats and may include some ICT:
- Written report
- Spider diagram
- Other pictorial presentation
Unit 854 – Dermatology and Microbiology Conduct an experiment to culture bacteria
- Preparation of self and work area
- Products, tools and equipment required
- Adherence to health and safety working practices
- The process of culturing bacteria
- Analysis and evaluation of experiment results
Unit 859 – The Chemistry of Hair and Beauty Products
Research in detail the active ingredients used in the formulation of advanced skincare products To include:
- The effects/role of the ingredient for the skin
- Benefits of the ingredient for the skin
- Any specific safety precautions
For any fifteen of the following:
- Fatty Acids
- Fatty Alcohols
- Fatty Esters
- Buffering agents
- Chelating agents
- Masking agents
- Gellants/thickening Agents
- Colouring agents
- Hydroxy acids
- UV absorbers
- Free radical scavengers
- Active agents
- Anti microbials
- Anti inflammatories
- Skin lighteners
- Delivery technology
Unit 860 – Management of Health, Safety and Security in the Clinic
Assignment Guidance Form Evaluate the factors that contribute to the successful management of health, safety and security in the salon
- Risk assessment
- Current policies and practices
- Compliance with updated policies and practices
- Methods of monitoring and maintenance
Other considerations for final mark
- Learner presentation is taken into account for final marks.
- Learners adherence to hygiene and their competence level while performing treatments.
- How well the learner explained the consultation process and asking questions to tease out medications, health concerns, or other conditions that may affect the treatment.
- On occasion, the examiner may reduce the treatment time to test how the learner operates and copes under pressure
The ITEC Diploma in Advanced Skincare is a world-renowned and recognised qualification. It sets up the learner to gain acceptance into the CIDESCO programme; however, it is also the standard qualification to allow employment in a host of aesthetic based businesses. Any therapist looking to gain valuable knowledge in a rapidly changing and technologically driven industry will find great value and reward by enrolling in the Diploma course.
Text: ATAI on 08 3890 1511 Tel: 01 524 1511